Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Virgin Mobile Ad + TEDTalk


These were some interesting videos. Raised a few points about artists' image rights I'd never considered before. The Virgin Mobile scandal was actually pretty bad in my opinion. I know if I were that girl, I'd be upset about having my picture used in that ad. It's a tough thing because there are some great images out there that already exist. And these images can be reused to make great art pieces. But at the same time, this is not entirely original work. And look at what happened to the girl in the cell phone ad. She was totally offended because no one asked permission. When parties aren't asked to have their images used, it becomes like stealing or trespassing.
The TED Talk video also addressed how reworking existing media can affect artists. One example was the anime video montage on YouTube. Different clips were set to play with one song. (This was done by someone who did not originally create them.) For both the original composer of the song and the original animator, this video could be offensive. Or an unwanted portrayal of their work. In short, I wish there were better monitoring of art/media & its use. The internet is a great tool, but sometimes TOO great....

No comments:

Post a Comment